Wednesday, February 3, 2010

First Impressions Matter

A post shared with me from Ric Munz, OD.  Since 1976 Contacts have become somewhat more mundane but the lesson persists.

As a student, I visited Dr. Bob Morrison in his Harrisburg office in 1976.   I think his reputation as an innovator is well known, but not perhaps as a master of presentation.  


To introduce the first soft lenses to his patient, he had them brought into the exam room on an engraved silver tray in baccarat crystal shot glasses.
   
He held a lens up on his finger and said to the patient: "Isn't this amazing"....and let them admire the lens.

He placed it on each eye and had the patient shut both lids before saying:  "And when you open your eyes,you will be able to see without glasses."

His style was far from my own, but his immensely successful practice, being composed of movie stars & royalty, taught the value of presentation.

---He sold the sizzle.

And from Ted Watson, OD:  Words Matter, Regarding Digital Retinal Imaging.

Regardless of the wording the procedure of imaging the retina regardless of "routine" or "medical" is a very important one.

I know they are only words but how words are used have been known to start a war.

I would suggest that we start trying to change our wording of this procedure from "Routine Photos" to "Digital Retinal Imaging" instead of something like:

"Getting pictures of the back of your eye."  "We recommend getting photos of he back of your eye."  etc.
We are not Olin Mills Studios.

I would suggest that we start using terms that very specifically describe what we are doing.  I don't think it gets beyond the patient's ability to understand what we are doing but in my opinion it does seem to make a difference.  We have been using these terms in the GBlvd DVC for a few weeks, working hard to get away from the use of pictures and photos and moving more to retinal imaging, digital retinal imaging, high resolution imaging of the retina.

Small thing...but can and may make a difference.

To that end, all offices should be using the Digital Imaging Explanation.





No comments:

Post a Comment